Summer is the perfect time to plan a fun getaway, but there’s nothing worse than seeing your healthy routine fall by the wayside, leaving you depleted, off balance, and potentially sick.
So, how do you maintain good health while you travel, avoid sickness, and the need for a vacation after your vacation? Here are my tried and true travel tips for combating jet lag and sleep issues.
If you thought Arizona was dry, try airplane cabin air. At cruising altitude, the humidity level is just 10-20%. To put that in perspective, the Sahara Desert is 25% humidity. On average, your skin is most comfortable at 40-70%, so here’s how to avoid dehydration post flight.
- Have water at all times. Invest in a 32 oz. stainless steel water bottle like this one from Swell.
- Dehydration is caused by a loss of water and minerals, electrolytes replenish and fuel your body’s energy production.
- Ultima Replenisher is another supplement we sell at the clinic for essential minerals and electrolytes, they also come in convenient travel packets.
- No electrolytes? Try lemon water, it’s hydrating and cleansing for the system.
- I also advise skipping alcohol for the first 24 hours of your trip.
Move Your Body
Fluid retention is a common complaint after being sedentary for an extended period of time, so it’s best to get moving immediately after you arrive at your destination.
- A simple walk or a swim is great for blood flow and draining your lymphatic system.
- It’s also beneficial to walk barefoot if you’re by the beach to ground yourself and bring your body back into alignment.
Sleeping in a new space, climate or time zone can cause a disruption in your sleep pattern.
- Try not to sleep until the evening.
- Melatonin is a supplement that can help you reset, and ours is sustained release so it stays in your body for a full night’s rest.
- Magnesium is another great option for supporting quality sleep, calming your nervous system and also aids in healthy digestion.
Alkaline Your Body
When your body is in an alkaline state, you are less susceptible to illness. The body is always trying to maintain this state of balance, but travel or any disruption to your routine, can knock you out of balance. Avoid this by getting all your essential nutrients.
- I love a supplement from Antler Farms called Organic Greens powder, it’s a full serving of fruits and veggies that’s highly alkalizing.
Stay tuned for Part II next week! I’ll be discussing my favorite supplements and tips for healthy digestion, staying regular and sun safety while you travel and for everyday.