So far in this series on detoxification, I’ve discussed cleansing foods, shared recipes to support detoxification and recommended holistic detoxification therapies. This series wouldn’t be complete, however, without a spiritual component, so in the final blog post in this series on cleansing and detoxification, I’m sharing tools to help you cleanse and detoxify your energy field.
Of course, when it comes to detoxifying and cleansing our bodies, we want to rid our bodies of any chemicals, metals, or other substances that are harmful to our health, but we also want to clear the environment that we live in of toxins and pollutants. One without the other just isn’t as effective or supportive of our overall health and wellbeing.
Each of our bodies contains 12 meridian systems and 7 chakra centers that form energetic pathways of communication between our organs and the cells of in our body. The fields of energy are not visible to us, but science has confirmed what Chinese medicine practitioners have known for centuries – these fields of energy exist and are what provide us with qi (pronounced chi), or life force.
It’s important to keep these energetic pathways clear so that our qi can flow freely through our bodies and all systems of communication remain intact.
In the same way that’s important to cleanse your body using food, supplements, and other therapies, it’s also important to cleanse and detoxify your energy field – all aspects of ourselves need to be clear of toxins in order for our bodies to function optimally.
Our energy fields can be negatively affected by many things, among them:
EMF or electromagnetic frequencies
We are exposed to these frequencies through our use of cell phones and Bluetooth devices – portable headphones, fitness watches, and sleep trackers. These devices emit electromagnetic frequencies that can interfere with our energetic pathways.
To counteract this:
- Eliminate any unnecessary devices that you are using to monitor your body. Instead, cleanse and detoxify your energy field by taking time to get to know your body and trusting that it can and will do the things it was designed to do.
- Minimize your cell phone usage and avoid placing it directly on your skin, when possible. Studies have shown that women who store their cell phones in their bra are more likely to develop breast cancer. Similarly, men who store their phone in their pants pockets are more likely to develop prostate and testicular cancers.
- Put your phone in another room when you sleep and turn off any wifi modems at night. Not only will this decrease your exposure to EMF and radiation, but it will also help you to sleep more peacefully.
Another way that our energetic field is contaminated is through our interactions with toxic people – people who are manipulative, judgemental, and generally, not supportive, caring, or interested in what’s important to you.
Cleanse and detoxify your energy field of these types of people and relationships by setting boundaries and making your wellbeing a priority. Move on from these types of relationships, or put a limit on the time you spend with these types of people.
For more on this topic, check out “Dodging Energy Vampires” by Christiane Northrup, M.D.
Negative Thought Patterns and Belief Systems
Our own thoughts and beliefs can be just as toxic as the words and actions of others since they tend to play all day long in our heads, consciously or unconsciously.
It’s important to be mindful of the thoughts you’re having and the way that you speak to yourself.
Often in my clinic, I see patients who are discouraged because they are ill or feel unable to reach their health goals. They call themselves names and berate themselves for not being able to lose weight, not feeling attractive…and say very hateful things about themselves.
If this sounds familiar, I encourage you to cleanse and detoxify your energy field with this exercise:
- Find a picture of yourself when you were a child, 5-6 years old and keep it in your wallet.
- When you start to beat yourself up for not being able to accomplish something or for not looking a certain way, take out that picture and look at it.
- Ask yourself: would I say these same things to this child?
- Remember, that child is you. Try to treat your adult self with the same care and compassion that you would treat a small child. Speak positively about yourself and your body as much as possible.
Unexpressed Anger and Resentment
Any emotions we don’t express and process get stored in the body. Anger and resentment, when not released, get stored in the liver and cause us to become ill.
This is something I’ve experienced personally. When I was going through a divorce five years ago, I had a lot of emotions that I suppressed because I was just trying to get through each day. After months of suppressing all of the anger, frustration, and resentment I felt toward my ex-husband and my previous relationship, I got really sick.
According to my lab work, my liver enzymes were elevated, but there was no explanation of why. My lab work was otherwise normal and there were no indications of other conditions or diseases.
The mystery of the situation prompted me to reflect and look within. What I discovered was a host of feelings that I needed to process and emotional wounds that I needed to heal.
Once I was able to work through these things, I began feeling better and eventually, my liver enzyme levels returned to normal.
It’s important for your physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing to cleanse and detoxify your energy field by processing your emotions and giving yourself a means of expressing these emotions, like writing, singing, or moving your body.
As you can see, there’s so much more to detoxifying your body than just eating the right foods. It’s a process that requires cleansing on all levels – physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual.